Hair products for black folks have come a long way over the years, but not long enough in my opinion. Here’s a list of products that will probably take you down memory lane. And for those of you die hard folks out there, yes those of you who are still wearing the Jheri Curl, this list is more like your current stash of hair care products sitting right over on your dresser.
- Blue Magic I think there was also an R & B singing group by the same name. They had to use this on their hair to remain part of the group.
- Sulfur 8 The solution to itchy scalp and dandruff. The only problem though is that is smells really bad I guess that’s why it claims to even keep lice away!
4. Carefree Curl ActivatorThe Jheri Curl craze led to many ruined sofas, headrests, pillow cases, etc. We all remember the scene from Coming to America , need I say more?
5. Luster’s Pink LotionBlack people’s version of gel.
6. Pre Con Gel The stiffer the better. Finger waves, pineapple and popcorn waves that all stayed in place for 2 whole weeks!
7. Lotta Body Setting Lotion You knew your rollerset was done when your had that crunch like potato chips.
8. Infusium 23No other leave-in conditioning detangler like it around back in the day.
9. Queen Helene Cholesterol ConditionerThe old faithful deep conditioner.
10. Murray’s Pomade Slick it back, lay it down. It ain’t going nowhere now.
These are some of the oldies but goodies. I’m sure there are plenty more not on this list. Which hair products would you add to this old school list?